5 Ways for You to Avoid Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents are on the rise—in 2011, they were the only group to experience an increase in fatalities. With more people on the street, and more communities striving for walkability, pedestrians need to be aware of everything around them to stay safe.
At the Law Offices of John P. Burns, we help you recover after a pedestrian accident, and get you the help you need. As accident attorneys, we represent pedestrian injury victims as a regular part of our practice.
Here are a few safety tips to help you take steps to prevent getting injured as a pedestrian.
- Stay Alert. As a pedestrian, you need to watch for cars, bicycles and motorcycles. Don’t let texting, posting, or talking on the phone distract you from traffic.
- Cross at crosswalks. Cars are expecting to see you at a crosswalk. Running across where there is no crossing won’t be faster if you have to take a detour to the ER first.
- Walk on sidewalks. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Make eye contact. Never assume a driver sees you, especially cars that are backing up, exiting driveways, or waiting to make a turn.
- Be visible at all times. Wear bright clothing during the day, and reflective clothing at night or use a flashlight.
Get more information on car accidents in our eBook, 9 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your California Accident Case. You can download the book for free and read more about vehicle accident issues in the book.
At the Law Offices of John P. Burns, we handle your pedestrian accident claim so you can focus on recovering emotionally and physically without dealing with the details. It’s free to ask questions, so contact us directly at 949-496-7000, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be sure to get back to you within 24 hours.